Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Weekly Wednesday (Because what else am I going to call this?)

As of tomorrow my little man has been ONE for a whole week!  And I'm pleased to say that every day since his first birthday has been better than his actual first birthday.  I have some making up to do.  

I don't even want to talk about it.  But now that I've got you wondering, I'll tell you.  

Cameron's birthday started off great.  He slept so well all night and then he even slept in until almost 10!  This gave me time to get everything going and I had breakfast ready when he woke up.  We had special birthday pancakes with fresh fruit.  They were a hit.  We did a whole bunch of playing with toys, went out for a swing, checked on the garden.  Cameron was WILD.  I was convinced he was going to take his first independent steps because he was using his toy box to transfer himself to his walker and zooming back and forth on his own.  

And then mommy made the mistake of letting Cameron out of her sight for a few seconds.  :(  He zipped (or tried to zip) right up the stairs and had a big tumble down.  I can't imagine that he made it up more than a few steps.  I'm sure he was so excited to show me what he did that he turned around to see if I was watching him.  Cameron cried.  I cried.  I called the clinic.  No pediatricians.  I called the walk-in clinic.  I decided to go to the ER.  The walk-in nurse called me back and told me that's where they would've sent me anyway.  Thank goodness Aunt LuAnn was available to drive us there (I didn't want Cameron alone in the back seat!)  And I think know she was excited for the opportunity to drive our car. 

We made it to the ER on gas fumes.  Lesson as to why you should NEVER let your tank go empty.  And when I say empty, I mean the gauge said "0" miles remaining.  LuAnn was nice enough not to mention it to me until we were safely inside the doors of the ER.   

Approximately 4 hours and lots of x-rays and tears later they told us that nothing is broken.  YAY!  I was surprised at how many people told me their children had also fallen down the stairs.  It didn't make me feel any less guilty.  Who wants to spend their birthday in the ER?  :(  On Monday he finally started to feel better.  Every once in a while it seems like something still bothers him, but I try to distract him with a toy and that seems to take care of it.  

I'm so happy he didn't break anything.  I definitely learned a lesson.   

On Saturday we had a fun little first birthday party!  The only thing that would've made it better is if he would've been feeling better.  He didn't get to do any running around with the other kids.  But he got a bunch of awesome new toys and we have been BUSY with those! 

Since we won't be doing our weekly photos any more I thought I would share my 52 week project.  I printed it out on a canvas for his party.  Who knew WalMart does same day canvas prints?!  It's so handy, although the canvas is not sealed so there is some ink transfer if you touch it.  I might have to work on a DIY canvas protectant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment